The green paddy fields of Vietnam, the bustling streets of Bangkok, the somber sultry landscapes of Koh Samui, the temples of Indonesia and the food of Cambodia – Southeast Asia has a lot to offer for travellers of every taste. If romance is on your mind, then look no further than a love-filled honeymoon cruise holiday. Romantic cruises for couples to Southeast Asia are extremely popular, come within affordable budgets and run throughout the year.
Singapore is the preferred port of entry for most cruises. Packages range between 3 and 13 days and the varied ports of call are: Singapore; Koh Samui, Bangkok and Phuket in Thailand; Ho Chi Minh City in Vietnam; Kuala Lumpur, Penang and Langkawi in Malaysia. Return flight tickets cost INR20,000 per person and cruise prices start at INR18,500 per person (for 3 days).
The Diamond Princess and Voyager of the Seas are great examples of romantic cruises that start from Singapore and cruise throughout the year. Buffet lunches, non-alcoholic beverages, entertainment activities and room stay are included in the cruise fare.
As romance is high on the priority list, spending quality time together as a couple is a must. Cruises make for excellent enchantment with the gorgeous seas, breathtaking sunsets and plentiful onboard activities to bring you closer to each other. Once you dock, the city is your oyster and you can indulge in various onshore excursions too! This dual entertainment is sure to kindle the love. Here are some activities that score high on the romance quotient.
Since you are onboard a ship for at least 3 days, you have all the time in the world to relax, catch up on your beauty sleep and engage in some couple activities. A ship is a floating world by itself and a myriad of options are up for grabs:
- If you are on your honeymoon and just starting a new life together, why not start with some fun? Use this cruise vacation to learn a new form of dance. Most cruises offer varied dance classes every day for couples and families. Salsa anyone?
- Honeymooners can relax and let the wedding stress fade away with a couples’ massage at the onboard spa. After all, who doesn’t love being pampered.
- Enjoy a mushy movie under the stars on the decks. Snuggle under a warm blanket, get a bucket of popcorn and let the flick work its magic.
- If you are looking for an offbeat activity, why not indulge in a wine tasting session and learn how it affects food pairings. Nothing better than a delightful glass of wine and your loved one on a sunny afternoon.
- Take a cooking class. Learn to make new dishes together and take the memories back home for your new life.
- Have a themed photo shoot. Views like these are going be hard to find again, so make the most of it by having the onboard photographer capture pictures you will cherish for life.
- Some cruises offer an ‘adults only’ recreational area complete with a reading deck, pool deck, spa, drinks service and a relaxed vibe. That sounds so good!
End the memorable day with a romantic sunset dinner or a candlelight dinner at a specialty restaurant. If you want to continue the fun, you can party till the wee hours of the mornings at the many nightclubs, theatre shows and bars onboard.
In most cases, non-alcoholic beverages, activities such as the cooking and dance classes, access to pool, etc. are included in the cruise fare. Alcohol at night clubs, special dinners, casinos and photo shoots come at an extra cost. Do remember to check with the staff before you book these activities.
Cruise liners offer full service to its romantic riders with special onshore excursions too. Since you are on a port for a stipulated time, these activities are scheduled to bring you back to the ship safely. Take your pick from a food trail in Penang, a Singapore city tour, pamper yourself with some value-for-money shopping in Bangkok or a bicycle ride in Kuala Lumpur! Here are some couple options for full blown romance:
- A shopping/city tour in Phuket: Eat from choice street stalls, shop from quirky local shops and buy traditional food products and herbs to make those dinners wonderful back home. Enjoy mesmerising views from the Promthep Cape and the Four Faces Brahma God. And keep time for some souvenir shopping for friends and family back home. If all this activity has worn you off, stop at the Jungceylon complex for a relaxing massage and a classy dinner!
- Experience Malaysia: If your beau loves culture, Port Klang offers a distinct vibe – have an afternoon tea with a Malay family, visit the Sultan Salahuddin Abdul Aziz Shah Mosque, the Klang Royal Palace and take a photo walk through its monuments.
- Singapore Night Safari: Up for some adventure? The Night Safari is one of the most sought after activities in Singapore by couples as it offers an experience like no other. More than 1,000 exotic animals from the Burmese Gaur to the African Bongo are can be spotted while on this safari! Sounds like a unique visit.
- Rainforest Explorer in Langkawi: For nature lovers, the trek through the 500 million year old Langkawi rainforest is a sight to remember for a lifetime! Its dreamy landscape makes for excellent picture spots with 230-feet high trees.
All onshore excursions are provided at an extra cost and are not included in the cruise fare. The average price of these excursion start from US$50 or INR3,300 per person. Transport to and fro from the excursion is included.
Onshore: Plan yourself
Romance knows no bounds! If you want to hop off the ship at every port and plan the onshore activities yourself, Southeast Asia is a great guide. There is a variety of choices available – from cooking classes to dinners on the beach to even massages with a sea view. Here are our top recommendations sorted by the city:
- A sunset dinner at La Jaroen Restaurant with stunning views
- A hike to Koh Wua Tab Island
- A trip to the famous Ang Thong National park – an archipelago of 42 islands with limestone formations, hidden coves and miles of beaches
- Full moon parties in Koh Phangan
- Canoeing at Phang Nga Bay in its fantastic lagoons and landscapes
- Island hopping and snorkelling on private boats
- Walk on a deserted island – Mai Khao Beach is an 11 km trail with the most stunning views!
- A tour of the Grand Palace
- A private cooking class at Blue Elephant School
- Dinner at one of the best rooftops in town – Vertigo
Ho Chi Min:
- A candlelit dinner on a boat or in a traditional villa
- Skating at the indoor ice rink at Crescent Mall
- A jazz, acrobatics or opera show at the Saigon Opera House
- A trip to the Tropical Spice Garden
- A dinner at the five-star Macalister Mansion or Beach Babylon
A Southeast Asian cruise offers a magnificent experience and could be the perfect starter for your life journey together. It is also a perfect way to relive the younger years filled with excitement and romance. The combination of culture, food and its diverse landscapes makes it an attractive option for couples and honeymooners. Book yours now!