Planning a European honeymoon? Switzerland, Italy and France aren’t the only places one can visit for that once-in-a-lifetime dream honeymoon. Europe has many romantic hidden gems waiting to be explored. Here are some other lesser known but equally impressive and romantic European countries that you can consider.
- Finland: Finland offers a plethora of delights for the adventure loving couple who wants to do something thrilling and different. Where else would you get the opportunity to witness the stunning Aurora Borealis or the northern lights and drive a team of huskies? Experience hot Jacuzzi baths on cold winter nights, go for a sleigh ride with Santa’s reindeers and sleep in an igloo! If that wasn’t enough, you can amp up the fun by going for a snowmobile Safari in the Taiga forest. Each season of Finland has something different and unique to offer, so you can plan accordingly.
How do you say ‘I love you’ in Finnish? Minä rakastan sinua
- Croatia: Fans of the Game of Thrones series might be familiar with the fact that parts of the show (especially scenes of King’s Landing) were filmed in Dubrovnik in Croatia. The old city of Dubrovnik has been categorised as a World Heritage Centre by UNESCO for its beautiful palaces, churches, fountains and monasteries. Take a walk with your partner along the walls of this ancient city nestled against the Adriatic Sea. Also, if you have an international driving permit, take a road trip through the Croatian countryside, with its lovely towns in the hills and mountains and the picture-perfect architecture. It will surely be a drive to remember.
How do you say ‘I love you’ in Croatian? Volim te
- Greece: Although the whole country is picturesque and beautiful, you must visit the Santorini islands for an unforgettable romantic honeymoon. The islands are dotted with pristine white homes atop high cliffs, overlooking sandy beaches. With a clear, aquamarine ocean just beyond, you can enjoy many dreamy sunrises and sunsets with your partner. Santorini has a variety of hotels, ranging from the reasonably priced to the extremely luxurious. The best time to visit is between May and July or in September and October. Avoid August as it is holiday season for the locals, so the prices will be high and availability of accommodation will be low.
How do you say ‘I love you’ in Greek? Se agapó
- Czech Republic: This is the place to be for those honeymooners who are fond of history, architecture and nature. The capital, Prague, will give you an opportunity to experience magnificent gothic style buildings featuring baroque inspired details. The plethora of food and shopping options will satisfy your touristy urges. For nature lovers, a trip to Pravčická brána (Pravčice Sandstone Gate) should definitely be on the cards. This is the biggest rock arch of natural origins in Europe, and is situated on the country’s border with Germany. The best months to visit are July and August, when the weather is pleasant and rainfall is less.
How do you say ‘I love you’ in Czech? Miluji tě
- Portugal: Couples who are foodies and are looking for a reasonably priced honeymoon destination will simply love Portugal. When you travel to Portugal, you have to sample seafood such as salted cod, tiger shrimp, gooseneck barnacles and octopus, which are famous local specialities. Pair your food with a delicious glass of red wine from the Duoro region. Visit the lovely and quaint town of Sintra, situated in the hills and renowned for its dream-like forest scenery. Enjoy a picnic basket while you view the sunrise. The best months to visit Portugal are from March to May and from September to October.
How do you say ‘I love you’ in Portugese? eu te amo
- Belgium: If you’re a couple that likes a chilled out, non-hurried holiday experience then Belgium is the perfect escape for you. Make the small Belgian town of Ghent your base to experience the finest café culture by the riverside. Explore Gravensteen castle in the town square. Take a bicycle to go around the town and gape at the beautiful architecture. You can even travel 30 minutes out of Ghent by train, and reach Bruges, known as the Venice of the North. While you are enjoying the beautiful bridges and canals there, don’t forget to try the famous Belgian beer, scrumptious waffles and melt-in-the-mouth chocolates.
How do you say ‘I love you’ in Dutch? ik hou van je
- Monaco: Monaco is the ultimate luxury escape for couples who want to spend their honeymoon in style. Though Monaco is the second smallest country in the world, it has a lot to offer in terms of sheer variety of experiences. If stunning views of the French Riviera, cruise ship dinners and yachting expeditions aren’t enough, you can feel like a glamourous movie-star couple by heading to the famed Monte Carlo Casino in your best evening attire. April or October are said to be the best months to visit Monaco so start planning your trip now!
How do you say ‘I love you’ in French? Je t’aime