Cruise lines across the world continuously thrive to keep the health and safety protocols in place. In the light of COVID-19 all major cruise operators have made comprehensive plans and protocols for managing illness, public health, elevated cleaning and sanitation levels.
World famous cruise operator Dream Cruises has laid down several preventive measures to ensure a safe voyage along with safeguarding the health and safety of guests and crew. Among the various procedures in place include:
Embarkation & Disembarkation
- Mandatory temperature screening and pre-boarding health declarations for all guests.
- All the guests have to go through the infrared fever screening system at the ship gangway.
- Cruise Line ensures higher frequency and increased sanitization and disinfection at the ship gangway and passenger walkways.
- Regulatory checks for all embarking individuals including crew travel documents.
- Guests aged 70 and above have to provide a doctor’s certificate of fitness to travel.
- Mandatory Online check-in for guests. Guests will receive designated arrival time at the cruise terminal to minimize crowd congestion.
- Additional waiting areas for cruise boarding and disembarkation.
- Cruise line to comply with all local port and health authority regulations.
- Higher frequency with increased levels of sanitization and disinfection in guest cabins with hospital grade disinfectants which also includes: Twice Daily wipe-down of guest cabins and guests cabin corridors and Fogging of vacant guest cabins and guests cabin corridors.
- Cleaning and disinfection of guest bathrooms with heavy duty alkaline bathroom cleaner and disinfectant.
- Timely removal of food items from cabins to prevent spoilage and cultivation of microorganisms and bacteria.
- Timely housekeeping cabin turnover, bed sheets and linens professionally cleaned and disinfected at high temperatures.
- Injection of diluted cleaning solution into drains to avoid clogged pipes and preventing bacterial growth.
- In case of sickness, thorough cleaning and disinfection with hospital grade disinfectant and fogging the cabin after.
Common Public Areas
- All public areas on the ship will undergo a two level sanitization process, thorough cleansing, fogging and wiping using hospital grade disinfectant. All elevators will be cleansed every 2 hours, public areas and facilities 2 to 10 times daily, Spa and amenities to be cleansed minimum twice daily and other areas will also observe disinfection.
- Frequent usage of heavy duty neutral PH floor-cleaning agents to disinfect all floor areas of the ship.
- Sanitizer dispensers available at various public areas and crew members stationed at key onboard venues to provide hand sanitization.
Food Hygiene practices and Standards
- F&B restaurants / bar areas, including galleys will be cleaned and sanitized 3 times daily, during and after service.
- Guests will be encouraged to wash hands before entry and use sanitizer dispensers available at F&B outlet entrances/exits.
- Guest seating will ensure ample spacing; disposable cutlery will be provided on request.
- Self-service at F&B buffet restaurants will be suspended. All food & beverages will be served to guests by crew members wearing face masks and disposable gloves.
- culinary use of wild animals and related products are strictly prohibited.
- Cruiseline will ensure stringent procurement guidelines for product sourcing from highly affected regions will be strictly prohibited.
Entertainment and Recreational Activities
- The theatre will be sanitized before and after each show, 3D glasses will be disinfected before and after guest usage.
- cleaning and disinfection of all toys, games and kids club facilities twice daily and after every use.
- All duty free shows and entertainment venues will be disinfected twice daily before and after service.
- All recreational equipment will be disinfected every 2 hours before guest usage.
- guest capacity will be limited to half the venue capacity to provide ample space between guests.
- Sanitizer dispensers will be readily available at various venues including entertainment venue entrances/exits
- Shore excursion coaches will be limited to half capacity and sanitized frequently.
- Spa and gym facilities will be sanitized prior to and after usage by guests.
Fresh Air Ventilation Systems
- 100% external fresh air is filtered and supplied to each guest and crew cabin and onboard public areas.
- No re-circulation of air between cabins or within the ship.
- Air Filters and cooling coils thoroughly checked, cleaned and replaced to ensure healthy air quality.
- Isolated wards available in the medical centre and cabins can be converted into quarantine rooms if required.
- containment items and medical waste will be properly sealed and disposed according to health and safety guidelines
- Used face masks and protective equipment disposed at designated central collection points.
- Medical equipment and waste bins cleaned, disinfected and washed twice daily with hospital grade disinfectant
Crew Member Practices and Standards
- Twice daily temperature checks
- Reduction of crew movement
- All frontline crew members are required to wear face masks
- Housekeeping and F&B crew must wear disposable gloves
- Designated crew may also wear protective garments and eye protection if required
- All crew to use antibacterial hand soap for at least 20 sec to sanitize hands